Make a Real Difference
Citizens Advice is the largest advice provider in the UK and has around 20,000 volunteers nationally. By joining us you can become part of a highly respected advice network dedicated to working to improving the lives of people in our community. Citizens Advice North Tyneside provides great volunteering opportunities nationally and locally including North Shields, Killingworth and Whitley Bay.
Are you looking for work or studying for a degree, or do you have time to spare? You can gain vital work experience and enhance your CV, as well as making a real difference to peoples’ lives, by joining our team of volunteers in any of the following ways:
AdviserOur teams of trained volunteer Advisers are central to helping our clients and providing the service they need. Advisers are the main members of staff who help the public with their problems, whether face-to-face or through telephone or digital channels, and deal with a wide range of different problems and questions. Tasks include:
- Interview clients in the bureau, over the telephone and on live webchat.
- Research information from our electronic information system and other sources.
- Provide advice, explanation and help with the choices and consequences that the client faces.
- Help clients negotiate with people such as creditors and service providers.
- Give practical help by writing letters, making telephone calls, completing forms, etc.
- Refer clients to other agencies who are better placed to help.
- Keep detailed records of all clients’ cases.
- Prevent future problems for clients by identifying failing policies and poor services.
- Be good at listening and being patient.
- Be able to work in a team.
- Be able to read and write English, and do basic maths.
- Be open-minded and non-judgemental.
- Enjoy helping people.
- Be supportive to clients and colleagues.
- Be confident using Information Technology.
ReceptionistReceptionists are the vital support structure that keeps our service going. Receptionists are the first faces that our clients see when they arrive at the office, and the ones who make sure that all our services are running smoothly and efficiently. We also help volunteers in this role build a wide variety of skills that apply to any administration or office career. Tasks include:
- Assisting clients as they arrive at reception.
- Updating client records.
- Making and re-arranging client appointments.
- Using computer spreadsheets, databases and word processing software.
- Maintaining and developing administrative systems.
- Stock control of leaflets and materials and updating local information.
- Helping to arrange events.
- Handling correspondence, telephone calls, email and faxes.
TrusteeNorth Tyneside Citizens Advice is a registered charity with a Board of Trustee Directors, who help oversee the running of the charity and decide on future strategy and priorities. Although some of the Trustee roles require specific skills, we welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and experience. As the Board of Trustees tends to meet in the evenings, this role could well fit with other full-time employment or responsibilities. If you would like to play a central role in a well-known and respected charity, this volunteer role might be just what you’re looking for. To see who is currently on the trustee board visit Our Staff. If you’re interested in becoming a trustee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re interested in volunteering with us, please fill out your details below and we will get back in touch with you as soon as possible: